-
Fil d’actualités
- EXPLORER
-
Pages
-
Evènements
-
Reels
-
Blogs
JD Vance says money from .7B fund will not go to Trump or his family
JD Vance says money from $1.7B fund will not go to Trump or his family
Vance Pushes Back on Critics: $1.77 Billion "Weaponization" Fund Will Not Line Trump Family Pockets
Toronto, May 20, 2026 — In a pointed defense delivered this week, Vice President JD Vance sought to douse speculation that a newly created $1.77 billion Justice Department fund would somehow enrich President Donald Trump or his relatives. Speaking to reporters after a closed-door briefing on Capitol Hill, Vance described the money as a targeted response to years of alleged politicization inside federal law enforcement, not a slush fund for political allies.
The announcement arrives at a moment when trust in the Department of Justice remains deeply fractured along partisan lines. Since taking office in January, the Trump-Vance administration has moved quickly to stand up what officials are calling the "Weaponization Accountability and Reform Initiative." The $1.77 billion allocation, spread across five years, is earmarked for new oversight mechanisms, independent audits, and civil-rights investigations into past DOJ practices. Critics on the left have already labeled the effort a vehicle for payback; Vance's remarks appear designed to blunt those attacks before the first dollar is spent.
A Direct Rebuttal
Vance was unequivocal. "Let me be crystal clear," he said in footage released by the Associated Press. "Neither the president, this administration, nor any member of the president's family will receive a single cent from this fund. Every dollar will be tracked, every contract competitively bid, and every expenditure subject to congressional review." The vice president added that the White House has instructed the Office of Management and Budget to impose additional guardrails, including quarterly public reports and an independent inspector general with subpoena power.
The preemptive denial comes after progressive advocacy groups and several Democratic lawmakers suggested the money could be funneled into Trump-owned properties or used to settle personal legal bills. Vance dismissed those claims as "baseless fear-mongering," noting that the statute creating the fund explicitly bars any expenditure that directly or indirectly benefits the president or his immediate family.
What the Money Will Actually Fund
According to documents obtained by Global1.news, the bulk of the allocation—roughly $1.1 billion, will go toward expanding the DOJ's existing Office of the Inspector General and creating a new "External Review Division" staffed by career civil servants and outside legal experts. Another $400 million is slated for state and local grants aimed at reforming police training and prosecutorial conduct. The remaining funds will support technology upgrades, data-analytics tools, and a public-facing dashboard that will publish real-time spending data.
Supporters argue the initiative addresses legitimate concerns raised during the previous administration about selective prosecution and the weaponization of federal agencies against conservative voices. They point to documented cases in which parents at school-board meetings were labeled potential domestic terrorists and to the uneven application of COVID-era mandates. Detractors counter that the fund represents an attempt to rewrite history and intimidate current DOJ employees.
Political Context in 2026
The timing is hardly accidental. Midterm elections loom in November, and Republicans are eager to campaign on restoring "law and order" inside federal institutions. Polling conducted last month by the nonpartisan Global1 Research Center found that 61 percent of Americans believe the Justice Department has become "too political," though opinions split sharply along party lines. Among Republicans the figure reaches 87 percent; among Democrats it drops to 34 percent.
Vance's public reassurance may be aimed as much at moderate Republicans and independents wary of another round of Washington spending as at Democratic opponents. By emphasizing transparency and explicitly ruling out benefits to the Trump family, the administration hopes to frame the fund as a good-government measure rather than a partisan score-settling exercise.
Skepticism and Scrutiny Ahead
Even so, skepticism remains high on both sides of the aisle. Senate Judiciary Committee Ranking Member Dick Durbin has already requested a formal briefing, while several House Republicans have signaled they will demand even stricter oversight language in upcoming appropriations bills. Watchdog groups across the ideological spectrum are preparing Freedom of Information Act requests and planning to monitor the first round of contracts expected to be awarded this summer.
For now, the White House appears content to let Vance serve as the public face of the initiative. The vice president's background as a former venture capitalist and his reputation for plain-spoken communication make him a natural messenger for an administration eager to project competence on issues of institutional reform.
Whether the $1.77 billion fund ultimately restores public confidence or simply deepens existing divisions will depend on execution. In an era of deep polarization, even the most carefully worded assurances may not be enough to bridge the trust gap. Yet the administration's early emphasis on transparency and explicit exclusions for the Trump family suggests it understands the political stakes.
Source: AP via YouTube — 2026-05-19T22:02:02+00:00.
- Breaking News Analysis
- World Politics
- Business & Economy
- Technology & AI
- Science & Health
- Environment & Climate
- Culture & Society
- Travel & Tourism
- Sports & Entertainment
- Investigative Journalism
- Opinion & Commentary
- Media & Journalism
- Human Rights & Social Issues
- Education & Knowledge
- Citizen & Amateur Journalism
- Other News Topics